Courage is not the absence of fear. Fear is an emotion that is experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger.
The emotion of fear usually triggers negative thoughts and feelings. We all have experienced fear before and continue to do so every now and again.
For some it could be the fear of heights; the fear to tell our story because we are scared of being embarrassed or being laughed at.
The fear of failure to venture into something new. Does this sound like you? Fear comes in many ways. For some, the sheer thought of living in their comfort zone sends chills down their spine.
We fail because we lack enough courage to overcome our fears.
Although fear can help us make necessary preparations to avoid certain calamities, it can also be quite devastating to our lives. It can have long-term negative effects if not properly managed.
It can lead to physical and psychological challenges. Fear has stopped most of us from fully, enjoying our God-given lives.
“To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong” – Joseph Chilton Pearce.
Many studies that have been conducted reveal that “Fear causes worry. Worry makes you tense and nervous and affects the nerves of your stomach and actually changes the gastric juices of your stomach from normal to abnormal and often leads to stomach ulcers.”
This means that fear can eat you alive without you knowing. Dr. Joseph F. Montague, the author of the book Nervous Stomach Trouble, says “You do not get stomach ulcers from what you eat. However, you get ulcers from what is eating you.” This is how much you can be destroyed by fear.
Let Go of Fear
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure” – Marianne Williamson.
If you want to accomplish much in life, you need to let go of your fears. Especially the fear of failure and fear of the unknown.
Those who have accomplished beyond average are those who have learned to overcome their fears. It does not necessarily mean they are not afraid, they have just learned to have more courage and less fear. The more courage you develop the more fearless you become.
One of the ways to let go of fear is staying positive on your goals; staying true to goals. Focusing on the benefits and achievements that will accrue with your goals.
When you start to feel anxious remember that it is normal. It only becomes abnormal when you let anxiety stop you from your goals. This is what has killed most of us. We have allowed anxiety to take centre stage in our lives.
Focusing on your goals makes you motivated to achieve them. Yes, you may not achieve your goals the first time and neither will you the second time.
But every time you take a step you move towards achieving them. With every step and effort that you make you become less and less fearful.
I know that at times it can be very difficult to stay positive, but that is the essence of personal development and self-improvement; that is life. It is to always find ways and means to overcome your limitations and challenges.
You could try the following tips to help you stay motivated:-
- Showing gratitude to others – I believe that showing gratitude is a sign of appreciation. It is a sign of being thankful. I believe that it is just humane to say thank you when you have been served. It is appreciating the effort that someone has put into serving you.
- Keep learning every day – This will take you away from your daily routine which sometimes could become boring. Besides learning is the cornerstone for life. It is the holy grail of self-improvement. The more you learn, the more you become. If you want to achieve more you must become more. Be open-minded to learning. Knowledge is one of the very few things that you will be buried with. Knowledge is personal to holder.
- Lend a helping hand – Humanity was created to core exist. We have just lost it along the way, because of our selfish motives and petty jealousy. I know for sure that many of us derive satisfaction when we lend a helping hand. There is goodness in every one of us.
- Live for yourself – You are not in competition with anyone. You are your own competition. Move at your own pace and most of all learn to enjoy your life. Find something that you love to do and get on with it. Something that makes you happy.
- List your positive things in life – We all have done some things that we are proud of. No matter how insignificant they may seem. They might seem small but when listed they add up. It is important to list them and make reference to them every now and again. You will be amazed at the list you could come up with. This will always remind you of them and how it feels when you accomplish something you are proud of. You will more often than not try to replicate that feeling.
“Only when we are not afraid do we begin to live” – Dorothy Thompson. I would like to conclude by encouraging you not to let fear stand in your way.
You can achieve whatever you set your mind on only if you can be less fearful and be more courageous. “Feel the fear and do it anyway”. Remember to be courageous and fearless. For more reading please follow this link.